A portrait of the successful bidder or person of his/her choice,
to be painted at the artist’s studio in Santa Monica.
Acrylic on paper, 2014
29 x 23 inches
Courtesy of the artist and Craig Krull Gallery
About the artist
Don Bachardy is an accomplished portrait artist and much-published author. He was born in Los Angeles in 1934. He studied at the Chouinard Art Institute in Los Angeles and the Slade School of Art in London. His first one-man exhibition was held in October 1961 at the Redfern Gallery in London. He has since had one-man exhibitions in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Houston, and New York. He was the subject of a 2008 documentary film, Chris & Don: A Love Story, which detailed his lifelong relationship with the celebrated author Christopher Isherwood.
About the work
Bachardy will paint a portrait of the successful bidder, or a subject of his or her choice, in a sitting at the artist’s studio in Santa Monica. Bachardy’s celebrity sitters have included some of the most acclaimed artists of Southern California, including Peter Alexander, Larry Bell, Billy Al Bengston, Robert Irwin, Ed Moses, and Ed Ruscha. The example shown here is a portrait of Robert Hayden, the museum’s board chair, painted in 2009.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- M. H. de Young Museum, San Francisco
- National Portrait Gallery, London
- Don Bachardy: Portraits of L.A. Artists, Craig Krull Gallery, Santa Monica, CA, 2011
- Celebrities, Friends, and Strangers: Portraits by Don Bachardy, Huntington Library, San Marino, CA, 2004-5
- Don Bachardy: Portraits, New York Cultural Center, New York, NY, 1974
>> Click here for artist’s website