Art Auction FAQs
How do I register on Artsy?
It’s only a 20-second registration process and is best completed prior to attending the event.
Visit artsy.net/lagunaartmuseum or click on “Auctions” to navigate the online gallery. Click on “Register to Bid” and enter your contact and payment information. If you win, your card will be charged.
Is registering with Artsy free?
How do I bid on Artsy?
Bidding is easy with Artsy’s automatic bidding system. Select your bid amount as long as it is greater than or equal to the next minimum bid shown on the bidding screen, then click the “Bid” button.
If you enter a bid amount higher than the next minimum bid, the amount you enter is treated as your “Maximum Bid.” Entering a Maximum Bid does not necessarily mean you will pay that price, and you may pay less. Artsy’s system will bid automatically for you against other bidders during the auction, according to our automatic bidding increments up to (but not exceeding) your Maximum Bid, as much as necessary to maintain your position as highest bidder. If two bidders attempt to enter the same Maximum Bid, the first bidder to enter that amount will be the winner.
I don’t want to bring my phone to the event. How do I bid?
We recommend bringing your own phone, but there will be iPad kiosks for bidding at the event.
Can I bid without attending the event?
Yes! You can bid on your computer or mobile device. Artsy representatives can also bid for you over the phone.
How will I know if I have been outbid?
Artsy will send you a text message and email when you are outbid.
Can I have my artwork shipped if I win?
Yes! Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing prior to shipment. Winners are responsible for all fees incurred to pack and ship artwork(s). This includes any customs fees, duties, etc. for international shipments.
Can I pre-register my credit card for the event?
Yes! In fact, we encourage it, so that you spend less time at check-in during the auction and more time enjoying the evening. Please contact Joelle Warlick at 949.494.8971 x215 for more information.
When does the auction close?
The Silent Auction closes at 7:50 p.m. on Saturday, February 16.
The Live Auction closes at 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 16.
Will I be able to pick up my artwork(s) at the end of the night?
Yes. Silent Auction items will be available for pick-up at 9:00 p.m. Live Auction items will be available for pick-up at 9:30 p.m.
• Your bidder number and paddle will be assigned to you at registration. If you did not receive a bidder number or paddle, please go to the registration table in the lobby.
• All property is sold “as is” (as exhibited).
• All sales are final. No purchase can be returned or exchanged.
• Payment for all items is required on the night of the auction. Cashier will accept cash, personal checks payable to Laguna Art Museum, VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
• To check out, please proceed to the art payment table located in the lobby to pay for your artwork and receive your receipt. You may then proceed to art pick-up, present your receipt to the coordinator, and a crew member will bring you your artwork.
• As a user of the Artsy platform, please review their terms and conditions, found here:
• In the event of a dispute, an auction official shall act as the final authority.
• Items purchased will be released upon presentation of cashier’s receipt. Laguna Art Museum encourages buyers to take purchased artworks with them on the night of the auction. If you are not able to take your purchase on the night of the auction, the museum will be open for pick-ups on Sunday, February 17, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Sales tax of 7.75% will be charged on all purchases.
• Bids are final and non-retractable.
• The museum will not be responsible for the shipping of any art purchased at the auction. Shipping is the responsibility of the buyer. Sales tax adjustments for artwork to be shipped out of state will be considered beginning on Monday, February 18, only for those items detailed on a shipper’s invoice (such as DHL, Federal Express, UPS, etc.).
• If you are purchasing artwork for resale, you will need to provide the museum with a copy of your seller’s permit. Sales tax adjustments for artwork purchased for resale will be considered beginning on Monday, February 18, after presentation of a valid seller’s permit.
• Works that require shipment to the winning bidder will be processed one to two weeks following the event.
• Where applicable, winners agree to pay for shipping costs of items such as shipping, handling, packing, tariffs, insurance, carrier fees, customs, duties, or any other costs related to shipping the artwork to the winner.
Silent Auction Procedures
• The Silent Auction will begin on January 26 at 11:00 a.m. and will close on February 16 at 7:50 p.m.
• All Silent Auction areas will close before the Live Auction begins at 8:00 p.m. on February 16.
• Silent Auction items will be available for pick-up in Jefferies A Gallery at 9:00 p.m.
• Silent Auction items will be posted on Artsy until closing at 7:50 p.m. To make a bid, please complete all information requested on the Artsy website or App, adhering to the established increments. The highest bid at the time of closing will constitute the winning bid.
• All bids must be accompanied by a valid bidder number assigned by Laguna Art Museum.
• Silent Auction bidding will begin with the minimum bid amount posted on Artsy. Each bid thereafter must exceed the previous amount in the increment posted on Artsy. There will be no exceptions. If at any time during the auction a bid does not comply with the established incremental amount, Laguna Art Museum reserves the right to adjust the bid accordingly.
• You understand that if your bid is successful, you will be obligated to pay the purchase price, which will be the sum of the final bid plus 7.75% sales tax.
• If you are the winning bidder and are not present at the close of the Silent Auction, a museum representative will contact you the next business day, Monday, February 18.
Live Auction Procedures
• The Live Auction will begin at 8:00 p.m. in the Steele Gallery.
• For bidding in the Live Auction, clearly raise your bidder paddle so that the auctioneer can acknowledge your bid. You understand that by submitting a winning bid, you have entered into a bidding contract to purchase this item. You understand that if your bid is successful, you will be obligated to pay the purchase price, which will be the sum of the final bid plus 7.75% sales tax.
• Live Auction items will be available for pick-up at 9:30 p.m.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Receive news about collections, exhibitions, events, and more.